My life has been doing a lot of changing lately. Since this past May I have graduated college, gotten married, lived in Venezuela, worked with American mission teams in Maracaibo, and in the last few weeks, moved to Peru with my husband to begin a 10-month course in Bible translation.
Changes are always a little difficult for me and it always takes me a while to get settled in, mentally, physically, and emotionally. Even going from college to home took me at least a day to get back in the swing of things.
Marriage in itself is a HUGE change. It feels so weird to say that I am “married” and I have a “husband”. I think that I always had this feeling that being married would automatically make a person more mature, wise, older, and somehow different. Before getting married, I would listen to songs that two of my favorite artists, Sara Groves and Bethany Dillon had written about marriage and to me, they sounded so wise and mature.
Yesterday I read a devotion on the Proverbs 31 woman. If Jack Bauer was a Hebrew woman in the time of Proverbs, he would have been like her. This woman is crazy, she is sewing up a storm making all her family´s clothes, planting a vineyard, helping the poor, and bringing “good not harm” to her husband. She “does not eat the bread of idleness.” Well, I am certainly not a wife like that. I am struggling just to get homework done and do the simple cooking and cleaning. I am so thankful to the Lord for giving me a husband who helps me with the cooking (He is actually a really good cook!), cleaning, and homework (especially when I don´t understand the Spanish).
For some reason, it didn´t sink in how much busier being married was going to make my life.
And jumping in to classes full-time has made the busyness turn up a notch.
It continues to become more and more evident how important time management is going to be!
Today I figured out that I can listen to music for free on www.hearitfirst.com and one of the songs on Sara Groves´ new CD resonated in what I was thinking. The song is called “Setting up the pins”, and to me, it is about all the everyday tasks that have to be done. “Setting up the pins for knocking them down”. Cooking food only so it can be eaten. Washing dishes only so they can be dirtied again. Sweeping the floor so that it can be dirty again, etc.
You can hear it if you go to this website and click on “Fireflies and Songs, play all” on the right and scroll down to the song number 7.
http://www.hearitfirst.com/artisthome.aspx?f=artisthome&artist_id=1653
Here are the lyrics:
man in a silk tie heads downtown
setting up the pins for knocking em down
people in cars all rushing around
setting up the pins
let's get rich find a way around
setting up the pins for knocking em down
we'll get gadget with a whirring sound
for setting up the pins
everyone everywhere some way some how
are setting up the pins for knocking em down
you can find joy in the fertile ground
setting up the pins and knocking em down
you can try to fight it till you're anger drowned
setting up the pins
everyone everywhere some way some how
are setting up the pins for knocking em down
it can feel simple but it's really profound
setting up the pins
rent a tent, build a stage, throw a party, get a gown
buy a ticket, rent a car, pack a bag and leave town,
cook a dinner, clean the kitchen hit the light
brush your teeth, read a book, say a prayer good-night
everyone everywhere some way some how
are setting up the pins for knocking em down
it can feel simple but it's really profound...
my grandmother had a working song
hummed it low all day long
sing for the beauty that's to be found
in setting up the pins for knocking em down
No comments:
Post a Comment