The day that most impacted me during our week working with Ridgepoint Church was when we went to Paraguachon, the city dump. It is several miles deep and wide-of pure garbage. The trucks come and dump the trash there and hundreds of adults and children then come to look through the trash for something they can eat or sell. I have heard about Paraguachon and gone to the community there with teams several times, but this year was the first time that I actually climbed up on the mountain of trash. One members of the team described it well- as a ¨shock to all your senses¨- the smell…the taste in the air…the sights…unlike anything I have ever seen. It was hard to see and it is still hard to understand. The hardest for me was seeing a little girl skipping through the trash, carrying a bag into which she was putting things that she found. Hard to imagine her life.
In those days I had been praying a lot for God to help me to see Him and know Him more and while I was there, on top of the trash, I couldn´t stop asking Him where He was in that place.
And I remembered the verse, Mark 25:40, “The King will reply, ´I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.´” God is there, in the worst and ugliest and most tragic of places, and He calls us to go there and serve.
We also had the opportunity to climb up with Bethsaida, who is a 26 year old new missionary to the Maracaibo area, with her specific mission in Paraguachon. She has been in Maracaibo for several months, but this was her first time climbing up on the trash. I cannot even imagine what she felt as she climbed the trash for the first time, realizing that this is her new place to work and minister. Praise the Lord for her bravery and willingness to serve God there. Please pray for strength and protection for her while working in this area! Also pray for the process of getting used to the culture of Maracaibo and Paraguishon because she is from the other side of Venezuela, so the culture change has been a shock for her.
After climbing back down, we walked around the community in Paraguachon and gave out bags of food (rice, milk, arepa mix, pasta, etc) to families in the community. We split up into two groups and went with the Pastor José Gregorio (a different Pastor from the Pastor José who officiated our wedding) from New Jerusalem Church and his family. He was able to talk to the families and we also prayed with each family. The picture below was taken from the bus, as we were dividing up in groups to go hand out the bags of food. You can see all the small children from the community who joined us.

Pastor José told me there are a few believers in that community. Almost everyone in this community are of the Wayuu ethnicity (like the Yukpa people, but a different ethnic group-completely different culture and language). Thankfully, the Bible has already been translated into their language, but many still haven´t been reached. Please pray for Bethsaida and New Jerusalem Church and their ministry in this community. Pastor José and his wife are both Wayuu so they can speak the language and understand the culture which is extremely important for ministry in this area.
In those days I had been praying a lot for God to help me to see Him and know Him more and while I was there, on top of the trash, I couldn´t stop asking Him where He was in that place.
And I remembered the verse, Mark 25:40, “The King will reply, ´I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.´” God is there, in the worst and ugliest and most tragic of places, and He calls us to go there and serve.
We also had the opportunity to climb up with Bethsaida, who is a 26 year old new missionary to the Maracaibo area, with her specific mission in Paraguachon. She has been in Maracaibo for several months, but this was her first time climbing up on the trash. I cannot even imagine what she felt as she climbed the trash for the first time, realizing that this is her new place to work and minister. Praise the Lord for her bravery and willingness to serve God there. Please pray for strength and protection for her while working in this area! Also pray for the process of getting used to the culture of Maracaibo and Paraguishon because she is from the other side of Venezuela, so the culture change has been a shock for her.
After climbing back down, we walked around the community in Paraguachon and gave out bags of food (rice, milk, arepa mix, pasta, etc) to families in the community. We split up into two groups and went with the Pastor José Gregorio (a different Pastor from the Pastor José who officiated our wedding) from New Jerusalem Church and his family. He was able to talk to the families and we also prayed with each family. The picture below was taken from the bus, as we were dividing up in groups to go hand out the bags of food. You can see all the small children from the community who joined us.
Pastor José told me there are a few believers in that community. Almost everyone in this community are of the Wayuu ethnicity (like the Yukpa people, but a different ethnic group-completely different culture and language). Thankfully, the Bible has already been translated into their language, but many still haven´t been reached. Please pray for Bethsaida and New Jerusalem Church and their ministry in this community. Pastor José and his wife are both Wayuu so they can speak the language and understand the culture which is extremely important for ministry in this area.
Sarah and David,
ReplyDeleteI want you both to know that we will put you all and the other mission teams on our prayer list at church. Mark 16:15 tells us that we are all called to share the Love of Jesus Christ to the whole world, and it is so awesome and exciting to see a couple like you who God has truly called to be missionaries, be so on fire for Him! God is so faithful to His children!!!
Hi my love,
ReplyDeleteI hope this finds you well! I really enjoyed reading all of your blog and I feel like I have had a real taste of what you experienced in the dump as I walked through the streets in some of the poorer areas of Guatemala. But the people are so resilient and so strong, God is definately with them! I love you and miss you, give David my love too! Let me know how things are going. I just made it back from Guatemala but plan on keeping my blog going through China. I hope to talk to you soon.
Dios te bendiga!
Love,
Kathryn
Es hermoso ver como Dios esta dirigiendo su vida de una manera armoniosa, como son los planes de Dios, de verdad alabo al Señor por la vida de ustedes, no me habia detenido a ver y a pensar en el hermoso trabajo que estan haciendo y lo que decidieron dejar por Servir al Señor, mis oraciones los acompañan!!! y aunque no hablemos mucho face to face, estan presente en nuestros pensamientos, Disfrute mucho su blog!! sigue pasando informacion Sarah para estar al tanto, cuenten con nuestro apoyo, Dios los bendiga muchisimo!!! Salmo 92:12-15
ReplyDeleteFrendis Bracho.