![]() |
| source |
"When many things seem to be going wrong, trust Me. When your life feels increasingly out of control, thank Me. These are supernatural responses, and they can lift you above your circumstances. If you do what comes naturally in the face of difficulties, you may fall prey to negativism. Even a few complaints can set you on a path that is a downward spiral, by darkening your perspective and mind-set. With this attitude controlling you, complaints flow more and more readily from your mouth. Each one moves you steadily down the slippery spiral. The lower you go, the faster you slide; but it is still possible to apply brakes. Cry out to Me in My Name! Affirm your trust in Me, regardless of how you feel. Thank Me for everything, though this seems unnatural- even irrational. Gradually you will begin to ascend, recovering your lost ground. When you are back on ground level, you can face your circumstances from a humble perspective. If you choose supernatural responses this time- trusting and thanking Me- you will experience My unfathomable Peace."
My initial response was anger and frustration. I closed the book and walked out of the room. How could God expect me to thank him when I am going through a desert?! But a few days went by and God started a process of teaching me what His word really says about giving thanks.
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Give thanks in all circumstances.
It does not say to give thanks when I feel like it
or give thanks only when I am having a wonderful day and everything is sunshine and rainbows.
It says to give thanks in all circumstances. That is including the good and the bad.
But let's be honest. Who feels like giving thanks on the bad days? I sure don't.
A different day's devotional from the same book says:
"Thank Me for the very things that are troubling you. You are on the brink of rebellion, precariously close to shaking your fist in My Face. You are tempted to indulge in just a little complaining about My treatment of you. But once you step over that line, torrents of rage and self-pity can sweep you away. The best protection against this indulgence is thanksgiving. It is impossible to thank Me and curse Me at the same time. Thanking Me for trials will feel awkward and contrived at first. But if you persist, your thankful words, prayed in faith, will eventually make a difference in your heart. Thankfulness awakens you to My Presence, which overshadows all your problems."
So when I don't feel like giving thanks, I must make the decision to thank God. Even for the trials. It is so hard, and so far, as far as I've gotten is, "God, thank you for [insert situation here]", but it is a process. This devotional spells it out perfectly- "When many things seem to be going wrong, trust Me. When your life feels increasingly out of control, thank Me." And this can eventually make a difference in my heart, and your heart, and help us refocus on Him. I think a key is found in that last line:
Thankfulness awakens you to My Presence, which overshadows all your problems.
And so I am slowly but surely trying to incorporate a time of giving thanks (for the good and the not so good), in hopes that this will become a part of my daily life. And I figure that now, as we are surrounded by pumpkins and turkey, is a good a time as ever.


No comments:
Post a Comment