A Blank Canvas

Friday, November 27, 2009

A Taste of the South...

So, if you don´t already know, I really like food. Thankfully, I like Venezuelan food a lot, they use a lot of lime, cilantro, garlic, rice, chicken, black beans, arepas (like the ¨tortilla¨ of Venezuela), veggies- onion, corn, and tomato, and fruit (pineapple, mango, passionfruit, bananas, plantains, and much more)...

But despite all of this, there are some staples of the American (specifically Southern) diet that aren´t so readily available here. So, I bring them with me. Sweet tea, Slim Jims (One of David´s new favorites), peanut butter, Reeses, etc. Oh, and Duke´s mayonaisse. They have mayo, but not Duke´s...so I thought I´d bring it for them to try. And it was a hit. The sweet tea was also a hit, and is really good with fresh limes! There´s some other southern dishes that I want to make too, like deviled eggs, biscuits and gravy, and no-bake chocolate peanut butter cookies (known to some of us as ¨cow patties¨)...any more ideas??

So here´s my stash of American food....thought ya´ll might find this entertaining :)

No comments:

Post a Comment