A Blank Canvas

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Update from last weekend!


Ok, so I am a little late posting this, but I wanted to share with ya´ll about last Saturday! Several members from “Pro-missions” prepared a special day for us. “Pro-missions” is an organization of people from local churches who promote missions in churches in Peru and also help to welcome Cilta students. First they served us lunch– a table full of typical foods from Lima. My plate full of Peruvian food- my favorite was the yellow stuff on the top left, a garlic cheese shicken sauce. And the top orange stuff is sweet potato!! Which is common here, so I´m excited about that!


 The whiteish stuff to the right of the sweet potatos is called "ceviche" (pronounced se-VICH-ey) and is a popular dish here. It is raw fish soaked in vinegar, lemon juice mixture that someone "cooks" the fish. I thought it was pretty good! Didn´t taste like raw fish, and the lemon vinegar taste wasn´t overpowering at all. The drink is chica morada, which is made from black, purplish corn that is boiled and cinnamon, cloves, and sugar is added. Not my favorite, but drinkable. The pic that looks like a fish is like a potato salad underneath but I thought the veggie decorations were pretty good!


























with Diana, the other Venezuelan student!


















In the center of Lima, historic district


We spent the afternoon talking with them and the other students. Later, we went to the center of Lima, where all the government buildings are. We enjoyed the arquitecture of these buildings, which were built by the Spainards in the 1500s. We walked around and took lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment