| Sticky gooey goodness |
There is a time for everything, and the time had come to attempt my first homemade pumpkin pie. I used the recipe for "Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie" found at this link .
Ingredients
Directions
The only difference is that instead of the canned pumpkin, I used 2 cups of pumpkin puree, and homemade crust. I am pasting instructions to both below, courtesy of the famous Kathleen Bolick Rincon.
Pie Crust
1/2 c. butter (unsalted) chilled (1 stick)
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsps. sugar
1/6 c. water ---- or 3-4 tablespoons cold water
Combine flour and sugar. Add tablespoon sized pieces of cold butter.
Use a fork to mash butter with flour and sugar mixture. keep mashing
until clumps are formed. When you have about even sized clumps. Add
the water a little bit at a time until the dough starts to come
together. Once it does knead the dough about 10 times until a ball or
disc is formed. Place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes before
baking.
Note: I left my dough in the fridge for a whole hour and it was rock solid, so I had to add water and knead it more. Pretty sure it would have come out better if I would have left it in for just 30 minutes. Ooops!!
To make pumpkin puree. Bake pumpkin in oven covered with aluminum
foil for 15-30 minutes unitl tender. Once tender remove rind and mash
with a fork to make puree. Remove any excess water by draining.
Ready to use in your recipe.
1/2 c. butter (unsalted) chilled (1 stick)
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsps. sugar
1/6 c. water ---- or 3-4 tablespoons cold water
Combine flour and sugar. Add tablespoon sized pieces of cold butter.
Use a fork to mash butter with flour and sugar mixture. keep mashing
until clumps are formed. When you have about even sized clumps. Add
the water a little bit at a time until the dough starts to come
together. Once it does knead the dough about 10 times until a ball or
disc is formed. Place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes before
baking.
Note: I left my dough in the fridge for a whole hour and it was rock solid, so I had to add water and knead it more. Pretty sure it would have come out better if I would have left it in for just 30 minutes. Ooops!!
To make pumpkin puree. Bake pumpkin in oven covered with aluminum
foil for 15-30 minutes unitl tender. Once tender remove rind and mash
with a fork to make puree. Remove any excess water by draining.
Ready to use in your recipe.
I will admit that as I was making a disaster in my kitchen and getting an arm workout mashing up the pumkin, the thought did cross my mind..."Is this worth it? I think canned pumpkin would have been better...Lord please let this pumpkin pie be edible!"
But, after making it, I will admit, that using the real pumpkin gives it a really different taste and texture, which seem much more fresh and genuine, and much less like the canned version. So, I will definitely be baking will real pumpkin again. The other good news is that Mr. Pumpkin yielded 2 servings of puree, so now I have enough for another pumpkin dessert :) I have been eyeballing this Pioneer Woman recipe for Pumpkin Cream Pie , which looks delicious.
| For David's first pumpkin carving experience, he did a great job! :) |
| My first attempt with homemade crust may or may not have resulted in flour all over the kitchen. |
| Pumpkin after being in the oven for a while...ready to be pureed! |
| Final product. Simply yum. |
No comments:
Post a Comment