A Blank Canvas

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Guacamole

I used to hate this stuff because I thought it looked gross. And then I went to Mexico and fell in love-with the guacamole, not with a man. I did fall in love with a man in Venezuela, but that's another story :)

 I watched one of my Mexican friends make this, so this is the real stuff :)







Ingredients:

1 tomato
1 white onion (or half of a red one)
a few limes
cilantro
avocado
salt
red pepper/hot chili (depending how much of a kick you want)

Put avocado in bowl, smashing up with a fork so that it has an even consistency. Chop tomato in small cubes and add in. Chop onions in even small cubes and add. Chop up a handful of cilantro and add. Add 1 or 2 limes of lime juice and a few pinches of salt. Add finely chopped pepper.

Notes:
-Unfortunately I don't have exact measurements, so you have to taste as you go.

-I never add any kind of pepper because I'm not a big spicy fan.

-For those of you in the US, make sure you smell the cilantro in the grocery store before you buy it. I have bought some beautiful, yet tasteless cilantro before in North Carolina. If it doesn't have that fresh cilantro smell, it won't magically taste like fresh cilantro. That's one good thing about cooking in tropical Latin America- fresh cilantro year-round!

-Great with chips, quesadillas or any other Latin dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment