A Blank Canvas

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

If you try and don't succeed, keep trying until the bread is edible!

My experience baking with yeast has been recent and (until today) unsuccessful.

First I tried to make cinnamon rolls and the dough was too doughy. I halfed the recipe but forgot to half the amount of sugar I added. TOOOOO sweet.

Then I make a homemade pizza dough. I forgot to preheat the oven, so I put the pizza in a cold oven to bake. Let's just say the crust came out literally like a rock. Later I learned that you have to have a very hottttt preheated oven to make pizza. (Blonde streak showing itself)

Then I made some rolls. The dough looked like dough and felt like dough. In the oven, they smelled like rolls and looked like rolls. But had a very strange taste. Even David didn't eat them. That's when I know there is a very serious problem. (Thank you Lord that my husband isn't a picky eater).

And so today, I decided to try again, with my Dad's recipe. I was very discouraged when the dough didn't rise at all after an hour and almost threw the dough away. I even pouted for a while. But I left the dough alone. And, another hour later, they had risen!! Halleluiah!!! And I just got them out of the oven, and I am proud to say they are edible and actually taste like bread! Another Halleluiah!!!





I have had many a failure in the kitchen- some half-way disasters and some complete-nonedible-gotta throw-that-junk-away disasters. But today was a little victory. And we must celebrate every little victory.

So for all of you who have failed a time or two in cooking or anything else, hang in there, and keep trying until the bread is edible!!!!!







Now, I'm hoping to find the UNC/Duke game on TV here. GOOO HEELS!!!! We have on our Carolina Blue and are cheering you on from Peru!!!

Love,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment