My visit to NC this summer was timed nicely- right when blueberries started getting ripe! They are so healthy (yay antioxidants!) and also so delicious.
Here's a recipe that I found at Sparkpeople.com. Click here to go the the site and see nutritional info.
Notes:
I didn't use flaxseed because I didn't have any at the time, so it won't ruin the recipe if you don't have them, but they are healthy- and don't change the taste much I don't think. I know they have flaxseed at Trader Joe's at a good price.
Also, these are "healthy" and light, not as sweet or rich as a cupcake. I loved them- and with fresh picked blueberries, they were amazing. Let me know what you think!
Chef Meg's Blueberry Flax Seed Muffins
These healthful muffins freeze well. Low-fat buttermilk and applesauce help lower the fat, and the whole-wheat flour and flax seed add fiber. Make a batch on the weekend for a quick and tasty breakfast, then serve with a piece of fruit and a glass of low-fat milk.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup quick oats (do not use instant
oatmeal)
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3⁄4 cup brown sugar
1 cup blueberries, washed and dried
1 tbsp flaxseeds, roughly ground
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Spray the muffin
pan with nonstick cooking spray or line the
wells with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk
and let the mixture stand at room temperature
for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine
the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,
and salt; mix with a fork to blend and set
aside.
3. In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat
the egg, applesauce, and brown sugar at medium
speed for 3 minutes.
4. Blend the oat-buttermilk mixture into the egg
mixture, then stir in the flour mixture until just
combined (try not to overwork the mixture).
Fold in the blueberries. Fill muffin cups 3⁄4 full
and top with a sprinkle of ground flaxseed.
5. Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
into the center comes out clean.
No comments:
Post a Comment