As some of you may already know, several months ago, I had a knee injury. Long story short- my kneecaps are misaligned, which is something I have had since I was born, but it wasn't a problem until I started a (rather) intense aerobics class. And a few days later- OUCH. I am thankful that we know exactly what it is, and I am thankful that- if all goes as the doctors plan- in 4-6 weeks I will see some improvemet. I am also thankful that it is something that will heal on its own with exercises, ice, heat, etc, and NOT with surgery. So those are the good things.
It was also nice being in the US recently, where life is in general more "handicap-friendly." I remember in the past thinking, "Is it really necessary that every building have an elevator?" Well I certainly have a different perspective on things now! In the US, places like Wal-mart and malls have wheelchairs you can borrow, which I definitely took advantage of! (One of my last days in NC before coming back to VZ, Dad went with me to take the inevitable last minute "Walmart Run." He was in a hurry for some reason and we almost ran over approximately 4 people. So if you were recently almost plowed over by a wheelchair in Walmart recently, my apologies, that could have been us.)
But having to be off my feet for the remainder of my life for the past 5 months has been a very frustrating. And I can at least be on my feet to do the simple things! But I can imagine how horrible and depressing it must be for those who are limited to a wheelchair for months, years, or even their whole lives.
So, here are some things I have learned. I hope to implement these lessons into how I live, and maybe they will inspire you to have a different perspective too :)
-Yes elevators and ramps are needed.
- If you know someone who is limited to bedrest for whatever reason, go visit them, and maybe take some cookies :) !
-If you see someone in a wheelchair/ crutches, hold the door. Opening a door while manuvering crutches is difficult.
-For those of us who are able to walk, and aren't limited to a wheelchair, we should not take good health for granted! We should take advantage of those legs and exercise :)
No comments:
Post a Comment