A Blank Canvas

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Packing. Laundry. Packing.

That’s what I've been up to lately.  You’d think that by now, we’d be experts at packing for international moves. Not quite.

We have learned a thing or two though…

-Pack as much as you can at least a week before. And weigh your suitcases a week before as well. That way you aren’t searching for items to pack/switching suitcases the night before. I’ve learned that the hard way.

-If you can get it at your new destination (toiletries, school supplies, etc), don’t pack it. That doesn’t include more expensive beauty products/makeup that may be hard to find where you’re going.

-When packing books, be very selective. Adding a few books in a suitcase really ups the weight! (This is our weakness because we love to read)

-In your carry-on, pack valuable items and medicines. And don’t forget to pack some gum, which helps prevent the airplane headache and ear-popping. (And your passport, wallet, other I.D., something to read, etc.)

-Wear your heaviest clothes and shoes. (More weight on you means less weight in your suitcase). I may have worn a pair of David’s boots once while traveling because my bags were already at the heaviest weight allowed. Taking a jacket helps relieve some weight from your suitcases and is good for unpredictable airplane temperatures.

-Liquids really should go in a zip-lock –type plastic bag. It’s no fun to open your suitcase and find everything covered in shampoo.

-If it has some strong emotional value, take it. You’ll most likely regret it if you don’t.

-Pack some light food items. For David- we are packing arepa mix, Venezuelan coffee, spices, and other things he can eat when he is missing VZ food.

-And always pack some snacks to munch on while traveling.


And, as I was finishing this post, we found out that David's visa arrived in the mail! Yay! Now, that really puts packing in high gear!



1 comment:

  1. These are great tips. I've been the one who opened up her suitcase and found my shampoo all over everything before...not fun! I definitely learned my lesson!

    ReplyDelete